Monday, June 14, 2010

FRENCH CAPTAIN RESCUES THOUSAND OAKS GIRL

By Debbie Bulloch



Now that teenage sailor Abby Sunderland has been rescued by the French fishing ship Ile de la Reunion, Abby has found time to continue writing her blog. Here are excerpts from her recent blog entries:

Abby’s Blog
Sunday, June 13, 2010

Everything is going well out here. I'm still getting used to walking around on board and it takes both hands to keep myself from falling up and down the narrow halls. I'm still having trouble typing on this key pad but I've got a few more days to get the hang of it.

Everyone on board has been really friendly. They have come a long way out of their way to help me and I am so thankful that they did. My mom has told me about all that the different rescue groups did to help find me. So thank you to all of you. I had only hoped that a ship would pass by me within a few weeks. I am really in awe. Thank you to everyone involved.

The captain is a big, friendly, bald guy with a big beard. He speaks English pretty well and he says, "Is no good to worry about the boat. Is just a boat, you is safe. You should not think about the past." Which is true, but its hard to keep my mind off everything that's happened.

...


NOTE: The actual rescue operation was carried out during very rough conditions. At the time of the rescue, winds were blowing hard, creating very high waves. The French fishing vessel had to maneuver in these rough seas as it approached Abby’s 40 foot (12.2 meters) sailing ship. At one point during the rescue mission, the captain of the fishing vessel fell into the water and had to be rescued himself.

Abby then continues her entry for June 13 ...

I have started writing. At first I decided that I wasn't going to write a book. But then I started to think about all the good times Wild Eyes and I have had together. All that's left of the voyage of Wild Eyes are my memories, eventually they will get fuzzy and I won't remember all the details. I don't want that to happen. Wild Eyes and my trip have been the best thing I have ever done or been through and I don't ever want to forget all the great times we have had together, or the bad ones for that matter.

The story of Wild Eyes is over, but my story is still going. I'm still out on the ocean headed to a little island called Kerguelen and then will be on another boat for ten days up to an island near Madagascar. From there I will eventually make it home.

So, on goes my adventure!

Abby


Abby’s Blog
June 12, 2010

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't written in so long as you probably already know I had a pretty rough couple of days. I can't write much now as I am typing on a french key pad as well as trying to stay seated in a bouncy fishing boat.

...


NOTE: Are French keyboards different from English keyboards? Who knew!

The Abby goes on …

There are plenty of things people can think of to blame for my situation; my age, the time of year and many more. The truth is, I was in a storm and you don't sail through the Indian Ocean without getting in at least one storm. It wasn't the time of year it was just a Southern Ocean storm. Storms are part of the deal when you set out to sail around the world.

As for age, since when does age create gigantic waves and storms?


Well said Abby!

To follow Abby’s blog, go here:

Abby’s Blog

No comments: