Friday, October 1, 2010

THURSDAY NIGHT BIKE RIDE - AGAINST THE WIND

By Debbie Bulloch



Yesterday I went for a bike ride after work. It was a short ride, only 20 miles. Now that the sun is setting earlier and earlier, the hours of daylight are becoming scarcer by the minute.

We have been having some crazy weather in Southern California. On Monday, temperatures reached in excess of 104 F (40 C) in normally cool Ventura. The on Tuesday, we were treated to one of Nature’s finest shows as thunder and lightning pounded the region on the hours right before sunset.

In the aftermath of Nature’s recent crazy behavior, we have been left with weather conditions that give rise to strong afternoon onshore winds. Yesterday, during my bike ride, the winds were blowing at a steady 10 miles per hour (16 kilometers per hour) with gusts in excess of 15 mph (24 kph).

Riding against a strong headwind is never easy. Like mountain climbing, a steady headwind can zap a rider of energy as she fights to keep the bike moving forward. Normally, riders on a road bike can take advantage of the road bike’s many aerodynamic features, including a smaller profile (to face the wind) and much lighter weight. I, however, was riding my mountain bike. As much as I love my ‘Dale (Cannondale) mountain bike, that beast has to be one of the least aerodynamic two-wheeler in existence. On top of that, my ‘Dale weighs nearly a ton (well I exaggerate a tad here). Whereas my light weight road bike feels like an Italian race car, the ‘Dale feels like a Mack truck.

During the last ten miles (16 km) of the ride, the wind just kept pounding me. To make it harder, it was getting darker as the sun was making its final descent into the Pacific Ocean. To keep me inspired (and moving) I “played” Bob Seger’s “Against the Wind” in my head. Bob’s beautiful voice and haunting lyrics were just the inspiration I need to hammer my way back to my car.

When I finally ended my ride, I was treated to the sights of yet another spectacular sun set. Watching the sun setting against a background of a dark ocean and fiery clouds made me forget all the wind-fighting, sweat and effort that took to finish the ride.

Here, for your listening and viewing pleasure, Bob Seger’s “Against the Wind” and a few images of a California sunset.

Enjoy!

BOB SEGER – Against the Wind

















Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: