Thursday, April 28, 2011

A BITTERSWEET ANNIVERSARY

By Debbie Bulloch



Exactly two years ago, on April 28, 2009, I wrote an article titled Between Homes and the Kindness of Strangers. The article was written to coincide with the one-year anniversary of the creation of Between Homes (BH). The article, however, was much more than an anniversary piece. I wanted to thank all avies (and the real persons behind each of those avies) who helped create BH; their support, guidance and encouragement were invaluable – without their continuing help there would be no BH today.

This coming Sunday, May 1, will mark the third-year anniversary of BH. As it was true back in the early days, it is still true today – BH still relies on the kindness of others to continue providing a safe place for newbies and other homeless avies.

I wish to thank all of you for your help and, most importantly, for your friendship. I would not have kept up BH for as long as I have if were not for you and what each of you brings to “the plate.” I especially wish to thank those of you who help me pay for BH with your contributions of land or money to BH’s tipjar.

Merci beacoup to M. Arcabulle Odriscoll. M. Odriscoll is my SL French teacher and bike riding coach. He is getting me ready not only to one day ride L'Etape de Tour but also to be able to speak like a native Parisian once I get there. M. Odriscoll, or Arc as he is known to his friends, was one of the earliest supporter of BH, helping to recruit new people to join our group. His new job assignment (in RL) keeps Arc from spending as much time in-world as he used to spend; nevertheless Arc continues to be an important supporter of our group.

Very special “GRACIAS” go to Teressa “baby Tess” Adamski. Tess and her family help me run BH. Tess is always there for me, fixing problems as they come up, helping new residents set up home, being my eyes and ears when I am not in-world and keeping BH’s bunny population well-fed and happy.

Finally, I wish to acknowledge two very special people, whose absences from BH (and SL) make this anniversary date a bittersweet occasion. As you probably know, Yucca Gemini was BH’s the primary architect. She was responsible for creating the majority of the buildings in BH, she was also responsible for most of the beautiful landscape that graces the grounds. Yucca was (and I suppose still is) a good friend; almost a year she unexpectedly left SL. I am not sure when, or if, she will eventually return - I am hoping that she will return someday ‘cuz I really miss her.

Another avie who is also MIA is Gloeing Ember, or as I affectionately called him, “Moose.” I last saw Moose in May of last year. My first meeting with Glo, his contributions to BH and his role in my life are amply detailed throughout this blog - just do a search for Gloeing Ember, Glo, or Moose and you will see. His absence from BH has left a huge, gaping hole in my heart. Like Yucca, I do not know when, of if, Glo will ever return to SL and BH. It is true what they say, that “absence makes the heart grow fonder,” because everyday that goes by I miss him more.

This song from Jackson Browne, a singer we both enjoyed very much, is dedicated to my sweet Moose.

SKY BLUE AND BLACK – Jackson Browne (Video)



SKY BLUE AND BLACK (Lyrics)

In the calling out to one another
Of the lovers up and down the strand
In the sound of the waves and the cries
Of the seagulls circling the sand
In the fragments of the songs
Carried down the wind from some radio
In the murmuring of the city in the distance
Ominous and low

I hear the sound of the world where we played
And the far too simple beauty
Of the promises we made

If you ever need holding
Call my name, I’ll be there
If you ever need holding
And no holding back, I’ll see you through
Sky blue and black

Where the touch of the lover ends
And the soul of the friend begins
There’s a need to be separate and a need to be one
And a struggle neither wins
Where you gave me the world I was in
And a place I could make a stand
I could never see how you doubted me
When I’d let go of your hand

Yeah, and I was much younger then
And I must have thought that I would know
If things were going to end

And the heavens were rolling
Like a wheel on a track
And our sky was unfolding
And it’ll never fold back
Sky blue and black

And I’d have fought the world for you
If I thought that you wanted me to
Or put aside what was true or untrue
If I’d known that’s what you needed
What you needed me to do

But the moment has passed by me now
To have put away my pride
And just come through for you somehow

If you ever need holding
Call my name, I’ll be there
If you ever need holding
And no holding back, I’ll see you through

You’re the color of the sky
Reflected in each store-front window pane
You’re the whispering and the sighing
Of my tires in the rain

You’re the hidden cost and the thing that’s lost
In everything I do
Yeah and I’ll never stop looking for you
In the sunlight and the shadows
And the faces on the avenue

That’s the way love is
That’s the way love is
That’s the way love is
Sky blue and black

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debbie, congratulations on BH's third anniversary. You are doing a great job with BH. You are also doing a great job writing this blog. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts here. Keep up the good work. Now, a piece of personal advice. Stop pining for the one you can't have--enjoy the life that you have, look to the future and stop looking back to the life that you left behind. Trust me on that!