Saturday, January 24, 2009

OF TALKING SEAGULLS, DOLPHINS, CLOUDS AND POINT MUGU

By Debbie Bulloch


Recently I have been feeling a little blue. This morning, at the suggestion of a certain Canadian moose I got out of the house and took a drive. (I bet you didn't know that moose could talk, eh? Well, this is a very smart and wise moose and he talks to me all the time. Not only does he talk to me, he actually makes sense - most of the time anyway.)

So I decided to listen to the moose - I jumped into my car, lowered all the windows, opened the sunroof, turned the stereo full blast and headed out for my favorite spot on the Pacific Coast Highway. As the miles rolled past the car's odometer and I got closer to to the beautiful Pacific Ocean I began to feel my spirits lift and my blue funk began to slowly fade away.

I parked by a rocky outpost called Point Mugu and I stared out the car window, taking in the feel of the fresh, crisp air. There is something magical about the feel of waves rolling in and crashing against the shoreline. It is like the soothing sound of a mother's lullaby calming a restless baby.

I got out of the car and I was immediately greeted by the cries of seagulls flying overhead. I looked up and one of the seagulls looked down at me and I swear the winged rascal winked at me, almost as if saying: "Welcome to our playground."

I did the only logical thing, I winked back at the seagull and told him, "Thanks for the welcome!" Then I quickly looked around to make sure that no one else had actually seen me talking to the seagull. As much as California is often referred to as the land of nuts and fruits, even here talking to seagulls can get you a one-way ticket to the local mental hospital.

After that little bird-talking incident, I grabbed my trusty Canon and snapped a few pictures to share with you. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

When I first parked my car, the clouds hung low over the mountains that border the coast line.



Then the clouds turned really dark and ominous.



Slowly, however, the skies turned lighter.



This spot has been featured in many television commercials and movies. In fact, Jay Leno was filming "something." I saw him driving a small, blue Cobra sports car.



The something really nice happened - a school of dolphins showed up. To ancient sailors dolphins meant good luck (because land was near). Dolphins always manage to bring a smile to my face.



Finally, my friend the talking seagull.



I am sure glad that I listened to the talking moose and got out for a drive to the coast.

No comments: