Saturday, January 31, 2009

SATURDAY MORNING

By Debbie Bulloch


Today is January 31, the very last day of the first month of the year. Seems like only yesterday we were unwrapping Christmas gifts and welcoming the new year. Tempus fugit, indeed!

In 1972 (coincidentally the year that I was born) a group called Looking Glasswrote a song called Brandy You're A Fine Girl. unfortunately for the band, this turned out to be a one-hit wonder. After Brandy the band was not able to recreate their initial hit.

The song, however, lives on due to to the bittersweet tale it tells of unrequited love. It is a very pretty song and one of my favorites. I hope you enjoy it too.

BRANDY YOU’RE A FINE GIRL

There's a port on a western bay
And it serves a hundred ships a day
Lonely sailors pass the time away
And talk about their homes

And there's a girl in this harbor town
And she works layin' whiskey down
They say "Brandy, fetch another round"
She serves them whiskey and wine

The sailors say "Brandy, you're a fine girl"
"What a good wife you would be"
"Yeah your eyes could steal a sailor from the sea"

Brandy wears a braided chain
Made of finest silver from the North of Spain
A locket that bears the name
Of the man that Brandy loves

He came on a summer's day
Bringin' gifts from far away
But he made it clear he couldn't stay
No harbor was his home

The sailor said " Brandy, you're a fine girl"
"What a good wife you would be"
"But my life, my lover, my lady is the sea"

Yeah, Brandy used to watch his eyes
When he told his sailor stories
She could feel the ocean foam rise
She saw its ragin' glory
But he had always told the truth, lord, he was an honest man
And Brandy does her best to understand

At night when the bars close down
Brandy walks through a silent town
And loves a man who's not around
She still can hear him say

She hears him say " Brandy, you're a fine girl”
"What a good wife you would be"
"But my life, my lover, my lady is the sea"


Through the magic of YouTube, you can still hear this song. This then, is one person's interpretation of Brandy You're a Fine Girl. (Note: the graphics and the video quality are not the best.)



I could not end this post without sharing with you some of the photographs that I took earlier this morning on a short hike by the ocean.

I used the same subject, but tried different exposures and different effects. Which one do you like best?



I personally like this one best.








It was a lovely morning hike. Thank you for coming along with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the next to last photograph. The composition is the best and the sparkling ocean effect is a nice backgroud. Looks like you are getting a bit of flare from your lens. Do you use a hood? "Brandy" came out when I was still in high school. It brings back some nice memories. Keep up the good work with your blog.