Sunday, December 14, 2008

CALIFORNIA DREAMING

By Debbie Bulloch


Today I went on my usual Sunday bike ride. Whenever possible I try to ride by the beach, on a stretch of Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) where the road hugs the shoreline. There is something about the awesome power of the pounding surf that stirs and renews my soul. Add to it the feel of the warm sunshine on my skin and the cry of the seagulls as they circle above and I feel closer to the Creator than in any church or cathedral.

This morning, as I headed towards PCH for my ritual rendezvouz with the California surf, I searched my iPod's playlist for the Mamas & Papas. First song on the playlist is "California Dreaming."

All the leaves are brown
and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk
on a winter's day

I'd be safe and warm
if I was in L.A
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
well, I got down on my knees
and I pretend to pray

You know the preacher likes the cold
he knows I'm gonna stay
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day

All the leaves are brown
and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk
on a winter's day

If I didn't tell her
I could leave today
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day

Although the National Weather Service had predicted (and is still predicting) a big storm for Southern California, the sun shone bright and warm as I headed towards the beach. Only the strong surf hinted at the storm that may still come later on the day. For the time being though, Mama Cass singing about California Dreaming on this glorious winter's day was all I needed to ward off against any bad weather.

Here are some pictures from today's ride. Enjoy!

The sun's rays shone brightly as they reflected upon the tip of the waves.



Same view, but in black and white. What do you think?



This seagull decided to play it safe by sitting on top of the sea wall.



His (or her) friends, however, were enjoying a dip in the water!



The surf, stirred up by the upcoming storm, pounds a sea wall. (I got sprayed a few times - I love the salt water).



Surfers love this weather. Life in Southern California means year-round surfing, even on New Year's Day.



The train passes right by the beach affording riders a wonderful ocean view.



The cry of seagulls provides a nice musical backdrop.



Finally, my "cranks." They help power my coastal adventures.




I hope that this bit of California Dreaming has brought a little sunshine to those of you living in colder climates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice story Debbie. I enjoyed all the photogrpahs. I like the b&w version. Thank you for sending us a little ray of California sunshine. But this morning YOU need the sunshine I see it is raining and snowing in Southern California. Stay warm and dry.