Monday, May 3, 2010

GREAT SL BLACKOUT WRITING CONTEST WINNERS

By Debbie Bulloch



Well, we only had three entries for the writing contest. I expected more entries. Perhaps the prize money was not big enough to stir your creative juices.

Well, I have decided to award First Prize to all three entries. That is right, each entry will receive the $300L prize.

To Susie Vita, Nina Urqhart and Debbie Akroyd, thank you for writing and enjoy yur prize money!

Here are their entries:

OK, I will be the first one to comment. On the night that SL went down, I had planned to meet a friend online. We had planned to go shopping for new clothes. I tried to log in at 9:00 p.m. SLT. No luck. I tried again 5 minutes later. Again, no luck. I tried again 10, 15 and 20 minutes later. I was getting pretty frustrated. I even ran some tests on my computer to make sure that I was not having computer "issues."

After half an hour of trying to go in-world and getting the same error message I finally gave up. I was still aggravated so I did what I usually do when I am upset. I filled my tub with warm water, added bath salts, lit a few candles, put a Sade CD on the player, got a glass of Merlot (Napa Valley) and I slipped into the tub with a book to read. The warm, bubbly water felt really good while the Merlot hit the right spot - the soft candle light and the music did the rest. Soon all the stress of not being able to go in-world simply melted away. It was great.

I hate to admit it, but I was really happy that SL was down. From now on, I will spend more time pampering myself and less time cruising the Metaverse.

Susie Vita

Between school, work, and other RL stuff I don’t have as much time to come to SL. The other night I decided to log in, but I couldn’t. At first I thought it was something with my computer’s firewall (I recently installed a new anti-virus program). But after checking the anti-virus, I figured that the problem was with SL and not with my software or hardware. I have a school paper due on Monday so I decided to stop procrastinating and get working on it (procrastination was one of the reasons why I had tried to log on to SL that night).

Anyway, I finished the paper ahead of time and today (Sunday) I had time to go out with my friends and enjoy a beautiful day out. I hope that I get an “A” on my paper.

I hope to win the contest (I could use the Lindens).

Nina Urqhart

Once I realized that SL was having server problems, I gave up trying to connect. Instead, I went out to my backyard, lit up a Cuban cigar that a friend gave me for my birthday, poured some single-malt scotch on a tumbler with ice and sat down to listen to the frogs croak while I blew out smoke rings. Best evening I've had in a long time!

Debbie Akroyd

No comments: