Wednesday, August 5, 2009

GOOD-BYE MAMI...



After a long and brave fight against a growing number of physical ailments that slowly ravished her body, but never destroyed her spirit, the mother of my dear and close friend SanPaul passed away and joined her Maker.

SanPaul’s mother, Mamí to all who knew her regardless of whether they were related or not, was a generous, kind and very tough woman. Mamí overcame early adversity in her life (she lost her own mother at age 7) and worked hard to make a good life for her family. In true Cuban fashion, she was the ultimate “mom” – everyone who came to her house was made to feel like family.

I remember one day when I had left my daughter in her care to go ride my first full century ride. After riding over 100 miles on my bike I was beat and ready to hit the shower and then go to sleep. When I got home Mamí had whipped up a batch of her famous arroz con pollo (she once confided in me that her “secret recipe” was to add beer to the rice as it was boiling!). Instead of heading straight for the shower like I had planned to do, I sat at the table to a feast fit for royalty. In front of me there was arroz con pollo, fried plantain, yucca con mojo, an avocado-onion-tomato salad and other tasty goodies; the meal ended with a Cuban cafecito (a strong, dark, aromatic espresso). After that meal I was ready to ride a couple more centuries - not even Lance Armstrong has ever had a finer meal after a long bike ride.

The food was so good that I wolfed down a couple of servings of arroz con pollo as Mamí looked at me shaking her head and saying “Ay Dios mio, esta chiquita esta loca, 100 millas en una bicicleta!” (Oh my God, this little girl must be crazy, riding 100 miles on a bike.) I can imagine that right about now the angels in Heaven must be lining up, plate in hand, while Mamí cooks them a heavenly meal.

To SP, mi amigo, mi hermano, mi consejero - my deepest and most heart-felt condolence. Your family’s loss is all our loss.

To Mamí, enjoy your new life with the angels – they will soon find out what a Cuban Mamí is all about.

Rest in peace.



NOTE: SanPaul Held (not his real name) has been a dear and close friend for many years. He has provided me with moral, spiritual and legal support during some of the most difficult periods of my RL. He first joined SL to “keep an eye out on me” and make sure that I did not get into too much trouble; he has eventually become a sponsor of Between Homes donating land and tiers to our project. My family and I owe him a lot and we are all very sad for his loss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SP, lo siento mucho por tu perdida. Espero que todo vaya bien contigo y tu familia. Suerte, tus amigos en BH.