Saturday, August 8, 2009

TO MY MOM...TE QUIERO!

By SanPaul Held

As you know, my Mom passed away last week. In keeping with her character, she fought a long and brave fight against a mounting number of illnesses. Although she fought long and hard, in the end not even her big heart could endure one more assault and on August 4 she finally found the peace that the last few months of her illness had denied her.

A while ago, Debbie posted one of my favorite poems, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night," by Dylan Thomas. Like my mother, I am a fighter; my mother was not the type to give up without a fight. In the end, however, no amount of fighting could overcome the growing litany of illnesses that my mother faced. I am proud, however, that she did not go out without a fight.

To my Mom I dedicate this poem:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


To my Mother, and to my Father who took such excellent care of her during her last years of existence, I dedicate this song, "Sabor a Mi." It was one of their favorite songs and one that they often danced to.

Sabor a Mi





I wish to thank all of you who have written to offer words of support during these difficult times. Your kind thoughts and prayers are much appreciated.

Muchas gracias a todos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SP, I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a loved one. At least she is not in pain anymore. She sounds like she was a good woman, a good wife and a great mom. May she rest in peace my friend.

Anonymous said...

Sanpaul,

We are with you and your family ! we all pray for you and your mom !
You are very welcome dear Sanpaul.
You are our friend so it is normal.
See you soon
arc

TT said...

SP
To loose the person who gave birth to you is hard, I know. She knew you before you could breath, and she is the one who watched you breath each day. Growing old is hard, to slowly give up parts of your life, you spend so much time to acquire. But it is also hard to watch the pillar of your life weaken.

Mothers are special. They molded us to who we are. My thoughts are with your family. Peace be with you.
TT

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say I was very sorry to hear about your mother passing and knowing you miss her so please know she is at rest now and so glad to finally be home as we will one day to be together once again so dry them tears and hold that heart true and remember she will always be with you in heart and soul..moe..