Wednesday, December 22, 2010

RAIN, RAIN, RAIN GO AWAY....

By Debbie Bulloch



This is definitely not the way things are supposed to be in Southern California. Most of us who live in the region chose Southern California for, among other things, the postcard-perfect weather. Just watch the Rose Bowl Game (played every year on New Year’s Day). While the rest of the nation huddles for cover, Southern Californians attend the game dressed in shorts, Hawaiian shirts and Ray-Ban sunglasses.

Legions of newcomers have come to California, and especially Southern California, to enjoy the beach weather and bask in our endless sunshine. Sure, we can tolerate the occasional rain, but only in small doses. The massive winter storm that has been pummeling the region for the past several days has left many Southern Californian, myself, included, looking up to the sky and wondering, “is it time to start building the ark?”

Now, after nearly a week of relentless rain, Southern California is facing the most intense storm system yet, with hundreds of homes evacuated, roads covered with water and mud, and residents anxiously eyeing already saturated mountainsides denuded by wildfires.

Forecasters expected heavy rain to eventually move into Arizona, Utah and Nevada. For now, however, the focus of their attention is clearly on Southern California, where a monster storm is expected to bring torrential rain, thunderstorms, flooding, hail and possible tornadoes. Officials warned of possible rainfall rates of 0.75 inch to 1 inch an hour and thunderstorm rates of 2 inches an hour in the region.
For more about the storms that have been pounding Southern California, go here:

Storms Batter Southern California

ALBERT HAMMOND – It Never Rains in Southern California (video)




ALBERT HAMMOND – It Never Rains in Southern California (lyrics)

Got on a board a west bound seven forty seven
Didn't think before deciding what to do
All that talk of opportunities, TV breaks and movies
Rang true, sure rang true.

Seems it never rain in Southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California
But girl, don't they warn ya
It pours man it pours.
Out of work, I'm out of my head
Out of self respect I'm out of bread
I'm under loved I'm under fed
I wanna go home
It never rains in California
But girl don't they warn ya, it pours, man it pours.

Will you tell the folks back home I nearly made it
Had offers but don't know which one to take
Please don't tell them how you found me
Don't tell them how you found me give me a break
Give me a break

Seems it never rains in Southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California
But girl, don't they warn ya
It pours man it pours
Stay dry my friends!

1 comment:

Lupestro said...

Hopefully in a few days you'll be able to cue Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly"... Hang in there...