Monday, March 2, 2009

ROSY FINGERED DAWN

By Debbie Bulloch



When I woke up this morning I decided to go for an early-morning run. As I stepped out my front door I was greeted by the sight of a beautiful sunrise.

The pink-tinged clouds reminded me of passages of two of my favorite works by the Greek poet Homer:

Now when the child of morning, rosy-fingered Dawn, appeared, Nestor left his couch and took his seat on the benches of white and polished marble that stood in front of his house. [Odyssey]

And...

But when the sun set and darkness came on, they lay down to rest by the stern cables of the ship, and as soon as early rosy-fingered Dawn appeared, then they set sail for the wide camp of the Achaeans. [Iliad]





Have a wonderful day and a far-out new week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deb, nice pictures and nice connection to Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. I swear, I thought the rosy-fingered quote was from Shakespeare. But you are right, it is from Homer. Thanks!