Sunday, March 22, 2009

SUNDAY AFTERNOON MUSIC...

By Debbie Bulloch




I recently saw a television advertisement for the VISA credit card. Normally, I am not very fond of credit card companies and their rapacious business ways. But this commercial brought back sweet memories of trips to the Aquarium with my Daddy. He would hold my hand tight as we walked around, perhaps afraid that he would lose me. When we stood in front of an exhibit he would put me on his shoulders so I could see over the crowd (Dad was a tall 6’2” footer).





Dad was very well-read and he had a special love for sea life. Whenever we went to the Aquarium he would take time to carefully explain to me all about the animals and the fishes in the aquarium. I must admit that sometimes I found his explanations to be, well a tad long. Amazingly enough, however, even when I thought that I was not paying attention, in fact I did learn a lot from Dad’s “boring” explanations.





The first time I took my daughter to the Aquarium I felt as if I was journeying back in time. As my daughter and I walked from one exhibit to the next, I was again a little girl – except this time there was no Daddy’s hand to hold mine and there were no Daddy’s broad shoulders to carry me above the crowd. When my daughter and I stopped in front of a tank filled with brightly colored tropical fish my daughter asked me about the fishes in the tank. I then launched into a detailed explanation of the fish, their coloring and their habitat. As I told my daughter all about the fishes I realized that my Daddy was still there with me, holding my hand, as I re-told his lessons to my daughter – his granddaughter.





Coincidentally, one of Dad’s favorite groups was the Moody Blues. He would spend long, lazy Sunday afternoons listening to his old vinyl records. I can almost hear the sound of the music coming from the speakers in his study – I can also still hear the hiss and pop of the needle as it journeyed over the grooved, vinyl surface.

The first time that I saw and heard the VISA commercial it felt as if my Dad was speaking to me. I could sense his presence next to me - I could once again hear his words.

Thank you Dad for all the fish lessons and thanks for the Moody blues; this post is for you!





TUESDAY AFTERNOON

Tuesday afternoon.
I'm just beginning to see,
Now I'm on my way.
It doesn't matter to me,
Chasing the clouds away.
Something calls to me.
The trees are drawing me near,
I've got to find out why.
Those gentle voices I hear
Explain it all with a sigh.
I'm looking at myself, reflections of my mind.
It's just the kind of day to leave myself behind.
So gently swaying through the fairy-land of love,
If you could just come with me and see the beauty of
Tuesday afternoon.
Tuesday afternoon.
Tuesday afternoon.
I'm just beginning to see,
Now I'm on my way.
It doesn't matter to me,
Chasing the clouds away.

Something calls to me.
The trees are drawing me near,
I've got to find out why.
Those gentle voices I hear
Explain it all with a sigh.


All photographs taken at the Monterey, California, Aquarium. Copyright © 2008 DB. All rights fully reserved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie, your Dad must have been a very special man. I wish someday my own children will remember me the same way you remember your father. What a nice post. Thanks!

Debbie Bulloch said...

He was very special, at least to me. Thank you for your comments.

Anonymous said...

hi hi debbie
your daddy was a very nice and smart man ! he tought you a lot and allowed you to be so smart, so sweet ! i think he was a great man. I would have liked to know him. I can tell you that he is still here he is looking you , looking what you do in your rl and sl and i can tell you that he is very proud of you ! very proud !
you know our parents are very important in our life ! I do love my parents and when they come to visit us as they are far from us , i am very happy ! i really appreciate now to spend time with us and i want them to enjoy my sons ! it is important for my parents and also for the childrens !our parents are so important we heve to take care of them too ! and i know you do deb ! deb your father is here in your heart and he is always with you in you look what you do every day and you can see that he is here ! see you soon and enjoy the life

byeeeeeeee arc

Anonymous said...

Debbie..your father was and still is a special man..he is proud of you and your accomplishments..he taught you well and that makes it even more special..we may not realize it till later in life, but our fathers are still with us and proud of us as he is of you and his granddaughter..I know my father who is no longer here is looking at me even as I type.
Love you special girl!
Gloe