Friday, May 29, 2009

FRIDAY EVENING - BEER COMMERCIALS

By Debbie Bulloch


Just the other day I was having a “discussion” about beers. Joining me in the discussion were a Canadian Moose and a Dutchie Lefty – I was clearly outnumbered and outflanked. Nevertheless, I held my ground until “someone” remarked that for being a half-German I know squat about beers.

That remark really hit below the belt, especially since the Czech and the Irish outpace the Germans in per capita beer consumption. Of course, my friend also neglected to mention that I am (“sort of”) half-Mexican. Mexican beer is enjoyed all over the world (just, please, don’t mention Corona, that is not even beer – YUCK!)

Drinking beer is an acquired taste – personally I love to knock back a couple of cold ones after a long bike ride, otherwise I am not much of a beer drinker. Beer preference, however, is a highly subjective matter. One person’s beer nectar may be another person’s sewer water.

One thing is for sure though, television commercials for beer are among the best produced and funniest commercials around. Something about pitching a bottle of suds seems to fire the creative imagination of writers and directors of beer commercials. With the weekend just around the corner I thought I would bring to you some of the best beer commercials from around the world.

The “most interesting man in the world” campaign for Dos Equis (Mexico) beer is both funny and intriguing – a very powerful combination.

Here is a short version of the commercial. Dos Equis itself is a mediocre beer, however. (Which goes to prove that sometimes the more pedestrian a product is, the better its commercials are.)




Here is the long version of the “most interesting man in the world” campaign.



In spite of what certain Dutchie may think, Heineken beer is NOT horse piss. In fact, a cold, cold Heineken after a long, hot bike feels pretty darned good.

I guess that drinking Heineken does make you want to dance!



Canadians think that their beer is the best – they also think that the Sun rises and sets on the frozen tundra they call home (don't they all live in igloos?). OK, OK, “some” things (and people) from Canada have captured my affection. For example, the cranks on my mountain bike are made in Canada and Alex Trebek (of “Jeopardy” fame) is so handsome! And, for the record, there is one Canuck who has captured my fancy, but if I mention his name, he will get a big head - to match his big heart!

This commercial for Labatt beer is pretty darned funny. Sushi and beer, what a concept!



Here’s another Labatt commercial. Canadians are so romantic, who else would have thought of a gigantic beer-pez dispenser as a gift for a young woman?



Some people think that Grolsch is the best Dutch beer. Well, even if it isn’t, this commercial is pretty sweet!


Here is the “battle” of Heineken vs. Grolsch. I don’t speak Dutch, so I hope they are not saying anything “objectionable.”



I don’t drink Budweiser (not even on a dare). But their commercials, especially the ones shown during the Super Bowl, are classics. Horses and beer, how can you go wrong?

Snow fight – never pick a fight with a bigger horse!



Donkey – you can always dream big!



I DO know a thing or two about German beers. Like my Dad, I too like Bitburger beer. It is clear, refreshing and does not leave you with a bitter after taste. It is a great summer beer.

Here is a good Bitburger commercial. It combines three of my Dad’s favorite “things”: soccer, beer and Mercedes Benz (look at the patches on the players’ jacket).



I hope you have enjoyed this little trip through TV land’s beer commercials. Remember, if you drink, please drink responsibly. DO NOT drink and drive. Have respect for your life and the lives of others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh debbie
these advertisings were very nice and funny! i really liked them !
beer is very nice !
you know when i am at work sometimes i think ! if only i could be in a cafe on the "terrasse" and could have a freh beer ! hehehehe
i like beer ! esecially ambrée and blonde
you have grimbergen and also leffe or adelscott ! humm i do like beer ! where i live there is a brasseur who makes beer ! good beer and you can also eat something ! it is very nice ! you can eat "flammekuche" like a pizza but with cream ! hehehe ! very nice !
but in france we also have wines and i do love and appreciate wine ! i know that deb loves wine too and for example cabernet sauvignon i think ! you know my friends, wines are very nice ! i think of several wines ! so i will try to write an article about that byeeeeee arc

Unknown said...

Debbie,

Re: your post about beer commercials and watched several. I am partial to nut brown ales, Newcastle in particular; also Pacifico.

However, I find Tilburg to be an interesting one because of the label: http://www.tdba.nl/default.asp. Not so much to drink.

And I like this song by Traffic: John Barleycorn Must Die - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wml3V-maDeA (not too interesting visually, but a good tune for listening).

Also want to mention to you that like Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine comics you post - don't get them in the local paper and too lazy to seek them out on my own.

(Pearls Before Swine is an interesting musical group too - now defunct. They are an acquired taste - pun intended - not for everyone, because often rather sad - some would say morose even. But I like them. All based around the lead singer, Tom Rapp, who is now a lawyer. I used to know someone in my hometown who was his roommate while he was in law school.)

Eli