Friday, May 1, 2009

FRIDAY EVENING - SHAKE, RATTLE AND ROLL

By Debbie Bulloch



In Southern California the stunning mountains, the lush valleys, the sharply rising coastline all serve as constant reminders of California’s geological past. The place that I call home was shaped (and continues to be shaped) by tectonic forces that are still not clearly understood.

Tonight, while having dinner with friends, we were all once again reminded that California is Earthquake Country. At precisely 6:11:13 p.m., while my friends and I were all raising a glass of J.Lohr’s Cabernet Savignon to toast the end of another work week, a minor (4.4 magnitude) earthquake hit.

No one in my group panicked (though a few diners, obviously from outside California, let out a shriek as the quake hit). After a brief pause almost everyone in the restaurant went back to business as usual. A few diners reached for their Blackberries and iPhones to contact loved ones or to check the news. A few others, myself included, engaged in a favorite California game: “Guess the magnitude and epicenter’s location.” I am happy to report that of all the people in my group I was the closest to guessing the quake’s magnitude (I estimated a magnitude of 4.2) and the one closest to guessing the location of the quake’s epicenter ( I guessed Malibu). Because I was the “winner” my friends paid for my dinner!

For those of you who track earthquakes, I have included data from this “event.”

MAGNITUDE: 4.4

TIME: Friday, May 1, 2009, at 6:11:13 (Pacific Standard Time)

LOCATION: 6 miles (10 km) SW of Westlake Village - SW (216 degrees)
7 miles (11 km) WNW of Malibu – WNW (294 degrees)
8 miles (13 km) S of Thousand Oaks – S (156 degrees)

EPICENTER
COORDINATES: 34 degrees, 4.1 minutes N (34.069 N), 118 degrees 52.9 minutes W (118.882 W)

EPICENTER
DEPTH: 8.6 miles (13.9 km)


If you wish to see more detailed information, including links to Google Earth showing the exact location of the quake’s epicenter, please click on the link to the U.S. Geological Survey.

U.S. GEOLOGICAL SERVICE – EARTHQUAKE DATA

One day, in the not too distant future, we in California will be hit by a monster earthquake from the famed (or infamous) San Andreas Fault.

Unfortunately o far, there is no reliable technology for predicting exactly when the “Big One” will hit. In the meantime all that we can do is to be as prepared as possible for the day when it hits. Already there are efforts to prepare the area for when (not if) the "Big One" hits.

Remember this, if you are in California and you feel the ground move under your feet get ready, it may be the "Big One" coming to get you.


.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi hi deb !
oh it must be very specific to feel that ! an earthquake ! I never felt that ! wow !a lot of people must have been afraid even if californians are used to feel that and to earthquakes !
This San Andreas fault is terrible and not so far from you !

it is very long : a length of 800 miles (1,300 km) through California ! incredible
I think there was a big earthquake in San Francisco in 1906 !
and i have read that there is a big one about every 103 years ! oh my deb ! don't take anyrisks , we do need you and please take care and also TT too ! you can come to France ! The last earthquakes which were very very big and important were in 1227 : Aix-en-Provence et Lambesc (intensité 10 : 5 000 morts)
and in 1248 : Maurienne (9 000 morts)
and after that in 1556 and 1564 in comté de nice ! and since these dates little eartquakes ! so please take care and come to france ! there are quite no risks ! hehehe and i will be better !

Earthquakes are terrible ! it is dramatic and we can do anything against that ! quite nothing !

Tell us how you are and if there were others earthquakes since the last
send you kisses and kisses to TT too and you my friends
arc

Debbie Bulloch said...

Arc, it really wasn't that big as far as earthquakes go. Building codes are very strict in California, so there is less damage, even from a big quake. At home my major appliances are securely attached tot he wall, I have a supply of water and food (even dog and cat food). I even have a power generator. I had a very bad experience during the 1994 Northridge quake and now I am as prepared as I can be. Still, I agree wiht you, earthquakes can be scary and Tt and Rachel can probably tell you. Earthquakes are the price we pay for living in some of the world's most beautiful region. C'est la vie!