Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TUESDAY MORNING POETRY - DYLAN THOMAS

By Debbie Bulloch



Two recent events brought to mind the immediacy of death. First, last Saturday, I went to the hospital to visit SanPaul’s mom. Her condition has been deteriorating since the beginning of the year. When I entered her room she momentarily did not recognize me – she thought that I was one of the staff on duty. It was only after I launched into my best imitation of “Cuban Spanish” that she eventually recognized me by the sound of my voice. I looked at her and even though she is now a mere shell of her former self, she still hangs on to life with a tenacity that confounds all her doctors. It is almost as if she has some unfinished business to take care of before she finally goes.

Then on Monday morning TT sent me the story about her dying uncle. What touched me the most about her story is how, even though he is sick and frail, her uncle still makes every effort to be there for his family. Again, I am impressed by the strength that some people posses – even as their final hour approaches.

All of the above reminded of a poem by Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas. In his poem, “Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night” Dylan addressed his dying father. Dylan tells his father that men from all walks of life (wise men, good men, wild men and grave men) have fiercely fought against death’s final approach. At the end of the poem, Dylan asks his father to not walk gently into the shadows of death but, instead, to rage and fight against the “dying of the light.”

One of the biggest regrets in my life is that I was not there for my father at the very end. If I could change the events of my life, being there for him at the end would be on top of my short list.

So for all the mothers, for all the fathers, for all the aunts and uncles, for all the children, and for all the friends who have preceded us in life, here is Dylan’s “Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night.”


DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT

By Dylan Thomas (27 October 1914 – 9, November, 1952)


Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi hi deb

Thanks for this post !
I will pray for them , for sanpaul's mom, for TT's uncle ! Oh yes they are very strong ! Oh we do think of us ! TT, deb, Sanpaul, thanks to be here for them ! they need you very much and i am very proud of you because it is very important to be here and to show that we are here for our family, our friends ! it is important ! thanks for what you do ! i do know that you do your best ! People can be very strong and feeling that their family, their friends are here for them help them a lot, so much ! thank thank you so much !

Deb about your Daddy, you did your best for him and you couldn't have done more ! Deb your daddy is very proud of you and your daughter ! he already told me that and he often tells me that he is proud of his little girl and his girl ! He is happy to see that everyday you think of him, you talk of him and you share with him or with friends your passion your love for so many things : cars, repairing cars, and bikes and for culture and so many things ! everything is interesting you deb ! you never stop ! it is funny and crazy ! hehehehe ! you are very very greedy of culture ! you never stop and always surprise and impress me (hehehehe)! he can see all what you do ! and he also can see the very smart, nice and classy woman that you are and the very nice mommy that you are ! and when he looks at your daughter (his little girl), he told me that, he is very proud of you and of course her too ! And he is with you, do you feel ? he is here with you all the time and he is in you.
He is also very happy that you are so helpful with people, and your help is very sincere and deep with everyone !
You remember that day when we were together in a sl shop and a woman came to us and didn't manage to get a jewel I think ! You halped her and stayed with her until it worked and until she managed to have this jewel (or dress). She thought you was working in the shop ! do you remember that ? I remember as it was yesterday ! it was incredible and it touched me a lot ! debbie you are a very very nice woman and your heart is pure and so sincere ! it is very nice and good to know people like you ! (heheheheh)
I do think what i say ! I am very sincere.
And your daddy feels that very much !! hehehe
Thank you so much Deb, don't change anything and always stay the Debbie you are !
byeee
arc

Debbie Bulloch said...

Arc, you're making me blush. :-)
(Thank you anyway for your kind words.)