Saturday, June 27, 2009

STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER...

By Debbie Bulloch




I am very fortunate to live in one of the most naturally beautiful spots in all of California - and perhaps the entire USA. We have mountains to go hike in the summer or ski in the winter; we have miles and miles of beautiful coast line to surf, swim or sail all year ‘round. We also have many miles of country roads where we can ride our bikes as long and as hard and as fast as we want (or are able) to.

One of the great pleasures of riding our country roads, are all the sights and smells - especially the smells - from the nearby fields. In the springtime, the morning air is redolent with the smell of orange blossoms, in the summer afternoons it is the smell of ripening strawberries that floats above the fields, and in the evenings, it is the hypnotic fragrance of star jasmine that fills the riders’ lungs.

This afternoon, as I headed back home from my 40+ miles ride down PCH to Neptune’s Nest, I was literally overpowered by a powerful fragrance from the nearby strawberry fields. I could almost close my eyes and taste the sweet summer strawberries and feel them melting in my mouth. But since I was riding at a 12 – 15 mph clip, I decided NOT to close my eyes. Instead, I stopped over and took these photographs:

Strawberry Fields… (Yucca, one day you will have to taste our strawberries)



Corn fields… (Can't wait for that summer corn to be read to eat!)



Neptune’s Net, a hamburger joint on PCH, just north of Malibu and world-famous biker hang out!



And, finally, from the Beatles, STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Deb. Neptune's Net is a great placeto eat and hang out. Try the lobster and a very cold beer, that will for sure energize your bike ride.

Anonymous said...

hi hi deb !
nice and very interesting !
please please send me strawberries please in order to do my rides !
please ...
hehehe
I love strawberries and someone told me that it is very special with champagne ! hehehe
you should try
byeee
jerry

TT said...

Yikes!!!! I have the original album!!! Does that date me?? I was young, hehe Oh still am!!!
Brings back memories! And yes I love the smell of fresh strawberries, and the taste of them, they melt in your mouth at this time of the year!!!

Good job Deb!!
TT